- Increased access to qualified EMS Personnel
- All EMS Personnel seeking licensure in EMS Compact states are screened with an FBI fingerprint background check.
- All EMS Personnel seeking licensure in EMS Compact states are trained to the national standard and are required to pass the National EMS Certification examination at the level of licensure.
The EMS Compact allows qualified EMS personnel to work across state borders, within their scope of practice, on a short term, intermittent basis. The Compact provides a limited-duration, privilege to practice under approved circumstances. The EMS Compact and the REPLICA legislation does not apply to EMS agencies.
Member states act as one as it relates to personnel regulatory matters under the well-known practice of interstate compacts. The EMS Compact promotes compliance with the laws governing EMS personnel practice in each member state, home and remote, and gives states the ability to hold providers accountable from both.
Benefits of becoming an EMS Compact state include:
- Qualified EMS Personnel in your state are extended a privilege to practice in other Compact member states under authorized circumstances
- State EMS Officials are provided access to a National Coordinated Database, containing licensure, adverse actions, and significant investigatory information for EMS Personnel
- The EMS Compact promotes the highest level of transparency and public protection to patients and EMS personnel in your state’s EMS System. State EMS Offices will now know who is coming into their state.
- The EMS Compact provides a unique opportunity to support members of the military and their spouses with a clear and timely pathway for State EMS Licensure
EMS personnel covered by the EMS Compact includes those responding to calls for assistance across state lines as part of their duty, covering large scale planned events such as staffing concerts, races or large scale unplanned events where federal agencies are dispatched to support details, for example, wildland firefighting teams.
Today, in many states, these EMS Providers have no legal standing or protection when practicing: the EMS Compact solves this problem.
EMS Professional Benefits
- Obtain and maintain your home state EMS license, receive the privilege to practice in REPLICA states.
- Creates an expedited pathway to licensure for military personnel and spouses separating from active duty with an unrestricted National Registry of EMTs certification.
- Work under the scope of practice from your home state.
- Reduced time, paperwork and costs associated with maintaining multiple licenses just to do your job.